When we moved into our first home I was thrilled to be able to have my very own and very first vegetable garden. I consulted my Nana and Papa and my in-laws on how to start a "first year" garden and developed a stellar plan. We went full steam working on that garden and gave it blood, sweat and tears and a ton of elbow grease. I had my nieces and nephews pick out seeds so that they can have their own special plants in the garden. Sending kids to a full rack of seeds and ask them to pick out ANY thing that they want to grow is not a wise thing to do. Pick out packets of things that you want grown in your garden, first, and then have them pick from that stack of what they want to grow. Regardless, in a plot destined to be barren you wont get anything anyways so it doesn't really matter.
Our poor little garden was doomed from the beginning. I ignored 3 crucial elements to a healthy and fruitful garden: 1. proper watering, 2. the value of mulch, and 3. location, location, location. The problem with this spot for the garden was that it was up against the south facing side of the house and the sun would reflect off of the house and burn any seedlings that came up out of the ground. However, I must say that one of my nephews picked radishes to grow and they grew, until our puppy decided to pee on them. We literally got nothing from that garden.
The next year, we covered that spot with cement and now it is home to a grill and patio furniture....much better.
Saturday, March 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment