Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Here we grow again....







Last year we decided to do it right. We went out and invested some money in getting material to build grow boxes, buy fruit trees, get good soil and a drip system for the vegetable garden. It was my favorite summer here yet! Tyler built me 3 above ground boxes and planted rose bushes and 2 fruit trees for me! I loved every second of being in my garden last year. We grew peppers, lettuce, beans, onions, raspberries, strawberries, tomatoes, beets, carrots, and the list goes on and on. It was a fairly productive garden I guess, but the harvest was only half of the fun.

Emily was just starting to be pretty mobile. Every morning she would eat breakfast then we would go outside to the garden and "pull" weeds. She had a wonderful time outside playing with the weeds and plant containers. Her favorite thing to do was put the rocks that we placed in between the beds inside the beds themselves. Then when she felt that there was enough there she would put the rocks back. She also LOVED to climb on top of the beds and play in the dirt. Emily would get soooo dirty, but I didn't care. Sometimes you just have to let kids get out and explore their backyard!
One of my most favorite memories of her outside last year was her discovery of tomatoes! She loves them. Emily would go out and pick a tomato from the garden and bring them inside and eat them like an apple. This would gross Tyler out to no end! I loved every part of this! Every once in a while I would have to trade the green one that she had just picked with a red one that just ripened, but I didn't care. When your child shows interest in eating fresh, fruits and vegetables you don't get in the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment